5 Tips To Help You Reach Your Goals
Many of us set goals for the New Year as we reflected on our lives, and the things we may have wanted to change or improve upon. While it is important to address and modify things that are no longer working for us, or to strive to improve the quality of our lives, it is equally important to be realistic when thinking about goals.
Here are 5 tips to help you set and reach your goals:
1) Set reasonable goals: People often set goals with the bigger picture in mind and do not consider all of the smaller steps require to meet that goal. For example, if you are looking to expand your social network, don’t sign up for too many activities that will result in over-committing yourself. This can lead to feeling anxious, overwhelmed, and ultimately undermine your goals. Start slow and gradually build upon small successes.
2) Keep a log: Write down your goals (and break them down into smaller steps) so you can track and review them. This can help you stay on track, recognize patterns, and identify road blocks. Remember, it is okay to modify and tweak your goals along the way.
3) Invest your time: I often hear clients talk about not having enough time to invest in their goals. It’s important to carve out time for things that are important to you.
4) Enlist the help and support of others: Sometimes it’s easier to meet goals when you are doing it with someone else. If you are working on increasing your physical activity or cooking healthier meals, enlist the support of those around you. Partnering with others can be fun, enhance your relationships, and increase the likelihood you will follow through.
5) Reward yourself: Make sure you pat yourself on the back when you inch toward your goals. Provide yourself with creative incentives. For example, if you go to the gym three times a week for a month, you treat yourself to a new pair of gym shoes or workout gear. • Don’t be too hard on yourself: If you find you are not meeting your goals, take a step back and try to reflect on underlying reasons. Was your goal unrealistic? Do you need to break it down into smaller steps? Remember, nobody achieves their goals without encountering challenges.
- If you are struggling or feel stuck in your life, contact Associates in Psychotherapy at (866) 220-8371 for a consultation.